Gathering Together [Massing] / Ts'ui
Hexagram: 45 Binary Sequence: 24 (011000)
Upper trigram: 8 (3) TUI / The Joyous / Lake
Lower trigram: 7 (0) K'UN / The Receptive / Earth
- (3) Collecting / COLLECTING represents the higher orders of structure that extend ever outward ( Internet, space-born viruses, Mongol Empire)
- Collecting represents the higher orders of structure that extend ever outward. It is the final internal inflation, the final preparation. Instances of this are the Internet, space-born viruses, Mongol Empire .
This trigram, with two emerging yang lines, is now in the domain of the yang.
The quadrant of WATER and AIR is one of preparing, or internal yang, where the balanced state of WATER ascends and expands into the polar state of AIR.
- Negotiation: The yang becomes dominant here, and the remaining yin is outnumbered. This is the time when the yang begins to reign.
- Definition: The yang is no longer constrained by the limitation of the EARTH and is free to expand into what seems like limitless AIR. This is the culmination of expression, and whatever the ultimate expression of an instance is, according to the nature of the instance, will be expressed here.
- Contribution: What remains of that expression or how it lives on is something only history will know.
- (0) EARTH / EARTH is the symbol of a perfect yin state. ( foundation, resources)
- EARTH represents the foundation upon which everything is built as well as the resources from which they are built. It is cardinal, winter solstice, inward, the non-moving point between deflation and inflation. Instance of this are resources, foundations, support.
The trigram shows the symbol of a perfect yin state.
The quadrant of EARTH exists between the dynamic properties of EMPTYING and FILLING and therefore represent the extreme yin pole, where the maximum point of EMPTYING is reached and where FILLING begins.
- Negotiation: A yin here indicates that anything can be negotiated, for it is receptive to anything, yin or yang.
- Definition: The emerging definitions are determined by the whatever is acting upon it.
- Contribution: The contribution of the yin is that is allows a yang to appear simply by its existence. It doesn't need to do anything, just as 0 implies 1 by its nothingness.
The king approaches his temple.
It furthers one to see the great man.
An Explanation of the Judgment
This brings success. Perseverance furthers.
|To bring great offerings creates good fortune. It furthers one to undertake something.
|The gathering together of people in large communities is either a natural occurrence, as in the case of the family, or an artificial one, as in the case of the state. The family gathers about the father as its head. The perpetuation of this gathering in groups is achieved through the sacrifice to the ancestors, at which the whole clan is gathered together. Through thecollective piety of the living members of the family, the ancestors become so integrated in the spiritual life of the family that it cannot be dispersed or dissolved. Where men are to be gathered together, religious forces are needed.But there must also be a human leader to serve as the center of the group. In order to be able to bring others together, this leader must first of all be collected within himself. Only collective moral force can unite the world.Such great times of unification will leave great achievements behind them.This is the significance of the great offerings that are made. In the secular sphere likewise there is no need of great deeds in the time of GATHERING TOGETHER.
The 'IMAGE' of the hexagram Over the earth, the lake: The image of GATHERING TOGETHER. Thus the superior man renews his weapons In order to meet the unforeseen.
An Explanation of the 'IMAGE' If the water in the lake gathers until it rises above the earth, there is danger of a breakthrough. Precautions must be taken to prevent this.Similarly where men gather together in great numbers, strife is likely to arise; where possessions are collected, robbery is likely to occur. Thus in the time of GATHERING TOGETHER we must arm promptly to ward off the unexpected. Human woes usually come as a result of unexpected events against which we are not forearmed. If we are prepared, they can be prevented.
The Six Lines
Six at the beginning means:
If you are sincere, but not to the end,
There will sometimes be confusion, sometimes gathering together.
If you call out,
Then after one grasp of the hand you can laugh again.
Going is without blame.
Commentary on the line The situation is this: People desire to gather around a leader to whom they look up. But they are in a large group, by which they allow themselves to be influenced, so that they waver in their decision. Thus they lack a firm center around which to gather. But if expression is given to this need, and if they call for help, one grasp of the hand from the leader is enough to turn away all distress. Therefore they must not allow themselves to be led astray. It is undoubtedly right that they should attach themselves to this leader.
Six in the second place means:
Letting oneself be drawn
Brings good fortune and remains blameless,
If one is sincere,
It furthers one to bring even a small offering.
Commentary on the line In the time of GATHERING TOGETHER, we should make no arbitrary choice of the way. There are secret forces at work, leading together those who belong together. We must yield to this attraction; then we make no mistakes. Where inner relationships exist, no great preparations and formalities are necessary. People understand one another forthwith, just as the Divinity graciously accepts a small offering if it comes from the heart.
Six in the third place means:
Gathering together amid sighs.
Nothing that would further.
Going is without blame.
Commentary on the line Often a man feels an urge to unite with others, but the individuals around him have already formed themselves into a group, so that he remains isolated.The whole situation proves untenable. Then he ought to choose the way of progress, resolutely allying himself with a man who stands nearer to the center of the group, and can help him to gain admission to the closed circle.This is not a mistake, even though at first his position as an outsider is somewhat humiliating.
Nine in the fourth place means:
Great good fortune.
Commentary on the line This describes a man who gathers people around him in the name of his ruler.Since he is not striving for any special advantages for himself but is working unselfishly to bring about general unity, his work is crowned with success,and everything becomes as it should be.
Nine in the fifth place means:
If in gathering together one has position,
This brings no blame.
If there are some who are not yet sincerely in the work,
Sublime and enduring perseverance is needed.
Then remorse disappears.
Commentary on the line When people spontaneously gather around a man, it is only a good. It gives him a certain influence that can be altogether useful.. But of course there is also the possibility that many may gather around him not because of a feeling of confidence but merely because of his influential position. This is certainly to be regretted. The only means of dealing with such people is to gain their confidence through steadfastness an intensified, unswerving devotion to duty. In this way secret mistrust will gradually be overcome, and there will be no occasion for regret.
Six at the top means:
Lamenting and sighing, floods of tears.
Commentary on the line It may happen that an individual would like to ally himself with another,but his good intentions are misunderstood. Then he becomes sad and laments.But this is the right course. For it may cause the other person to come to his senses, so that the alliance that has been sought and so painfully missed is after all achieved.